History of violin making in Luby

The beginnings of violin making in Luby (Schönbach) date back to the first half of the 17th century. The oldest surviving instrument is the viola by Johann Adam Pöpel with the date 1664. J.A. Pöpel was the first famous violin-maker in Luby and the founder of the Guild of violin makers in Markneukirchen.

In the 18th century there worked more than 40 violin makers in Luby. At that time, a so-called Schönbach (Luby) violin school was established by the families of violin makers called Plachta, Sandner and Hoyer.

In the first half of the 19th century there begins to rise a manufacturing production, which sheds a bad light on the production of master instruments and pushes it into the background. However, the production of master instruments never completely finished.

In the summer of 1926 there was unveiled a violin monument that pays tribute to all unknown violin makers and manufacturers of musical instruments, who have contributed to the development of this craft in the region of Luby.

After the Second World War most violin makers of German nationality left back to their homeland, where they base their new shops. Schönbach was renamed to Luby.

In 1948 factories were nationalized and consolidated into a large enterprise called Cremona. Under this plant all the master violin makers must operate as well.

In 1989 Cremona was privatized and renamed to Strunal. Again, there are small factories and master violin makers have become independent.

Finally, it should be noted that this brief and simple list cannot completely cover the whole, much richer history of violin making production inthe region of Luby.